Sunday, May 3, 2009

A very unofficial guide to getting into DEP

It's rather hard to draft out this guide, because I'm not even sure how I managed to get in myself.

But I think mostly, the below would mainly constitute some of the things I (stupidly) or not so stupidly did. Feel free to copy my behaviour, but it won't guarantee you a place in Sec 2 drama class next year... (it's part of my fruitless attempt to make you successful)

1) Pay attention in Drama class.

It never hurts to look up when the teacher is speaking, and nod responsively, and do what she/he tells you to without complaint. Make sure you know what drama elements/conventions are needed in both your theory/practical work, and make sure you mention/use them.

2) Have a good attitude.

Don't whine when you don't get into the same group as your buddy for groupwork. When asked to complete drama reflections, do every single one of them, seriously, with utmost effort and care.

3) Effort.

For every drama practical assessment, do thorough research, and start rehearsing with your group well before the assessment date. If your group members do not intend to take drama next year and thus treat it very lightly, do all the work such as script writing, or casting or planning, yourself. It'll do you good in the long run. Besides, if you truly enjoy drama, you won't mind spending the whole day drafting out the script.

4) Passion and determination.

You have to be really, really interested in drama before you consider taking it up as a formal subject. You must bear in mind that it will become as important as your Math/Science/English subjects once you take it up in Sec Two. Love what you are doing, and nothing will ever go wrong.

5) A very stupid thing I did.

Oh wells, it might be stupid, but it might've helped! Anyway, throughout the whole of Sec One, we were given loads of talks about Drama, like its history, and thte school invited actors to come and stage some cool drama stuff, and there was this Sec One drama showcase towards the end of the year, I think. I sat up very straight and fixed my eyes on everything that was happening in front. As you all know not all of the talks are very interesting, and not all of the performances were very engaging, but still I sat ram rod straight and tried to become extremely, furiously interested in anything that was going on. Sooner or later, everyone in the room will start slouching, and you'll be the only person with a straight back, looking earnestly at the showcase. This shows how actually interested you are in drama. And...er...sets off a good impression, I guess.

But of course, I don't think the drama teachers take that officialy as a rubric for selection.

The above are (I repeat) my personal opinion and advice, doing all of the above might not get you into DEP. They're just some guidelines!

Have fun!

Love,

SN Girl 1

ps: If you have any queries about drama, or anything in particular, feel free to drop me a message on msn. (stnicksgirl1@hotmail.com) I'll try to answer it as best as I can. Or you can leave a tag! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment